View of Cannon Mountain from the old Route 3


1. Travel north on US 3 from the Indian Head Resort through Franconia Notch. Take Exit 35 toward Twin Mountain. Stop at the Mount Cleveland Scenic Picnic Area. (12.4 miles) This was the Hills’ first observational stop. Through binoculars Betty observed the unconventional craft it traveled across the face of the moon. She said it was odd shaped and flashing multicolored points of light. Barney watched as the craft flew west, and without appearing to turn, rapidly descended toward him.
2. Head south on US 3 3.5 miles to Franconia Notch. The light at the top of Cannon Mountain blinked out as the craft passed above it. Take Exit 34B (Cannon Mt. Tramway/Old Man Historic Site). (Visit the Hugh Gallen Bridge area. This is the section of Rt. 3 that the Hills used to enter Franconia Notch in 1961. You'll see their view of Cannon Mountain.) Walk the path to the Old Man Historic Site—about a 5 min. walk. (Handicap accessible from lower parking lot.) The craft stopped next to the Old Man’s profile measuring 48’. It was nearly twice as long as the Old Man. The craft appeared to be rotating as the lighted edge flashed in succession. It then bounced back and forth like a ball and paddle.
3. Head south on US 3 through Franconia Notch. Betty described the craft’s stair-step movement as it paced the Hills’ vehicle only hundreds of feet above. Take Exit 34A toward the Flume Gorge. Continue south to the Indian Head Resort. Stop to see the Betty and Barney Hill Historical marker erected by the State of NH.
Betty Hill at the site of her abduction 
4. Betty was curious to get a better look at the flying saucer that had paced their 1957 Chevy over the past 12.4 miles. 
     Barney was relieved to be in a populated area where he might find a police officer to whom he could report the UFO. 
     In an uncanny twist of fate, only 1.4 miles south of the resort the craft shifted ahead and rapidly descended.
5. Stop at the Notch Express Store and Irving Gas Station. In 1961, a farmer’s field and apple orchard stood to the left. I-93 had not been constructed this far north and no structure stood where the store is now located.
     The UFO rapidly descended here forcing Barney to stop directly in the middle of the high-way. The large, silent disk-shaped craft hovered less than 200 feet above the Hills. When Barney stepped out of the car, the craft glided to the field across the street from the store and des-cended lower. Following it into the field, through binoculars Barney observed figures that were “somehow not human” (10/1961 NICAP Report), staring down at him from a double row of win-dows that lined the forward edge. Suddenly, all but one figure turned and moved to what appeared to be a panel. They raised their arms and something began to drop down from the bottom of the craft. When this occurred, Barney became terrified. He fled for the car screaming to Betty that they had to get out of there or they were going to be captured. As he entered the car he saw the craft moving in his direction. He put the car into gear and went speeding down the highway. (This was part of Barney's conscious memory and was not brought forth by hypnosis for the first time. It is documented in the early reports. 
 Aerial view of the abduction site before development
6. Drive south to Clark’s Trading Post. Betty rolled down her window and peered upward but could no longer see the craft. Although it was a bright, starry night, she saw only darkness.
     Almost immediately, a series of code-like beeping sounds caused their vehicle to vibrate as a tingling sensation numbed the couple. As if only a moment had passed, they found themselves 35 miles south on US 3, with little recollection of what had trans-pired in the interim.
7. 10 miles south of the field, turn left onto Cross Road over the Thornton Memorial Bridge. At the stop sign, turn right on NH-175S. Drive a half mile and turn left onto Mill Brook Road. Round the curve to the spot where late at night on 9/19/1961, non-human entities blocked the road. Today it is paved and lined with houses and new side roads. In 1961, it was unpaved and desolate. The craft landed in a sandy area on the left side of the road. (The had conscious recall for their close encounter, the buzzing sounds that struck the trunk of their car, finding themselves on a new road,  a fiery orb that seemed to be sitting on the ground, and a roadblock. But they did not remember the abduction and what happened to them on the craft.)